Challenging, High-Quality Programs of International Education
The Sioux City Community School District is pleased to have three schools embark on a journey to become International Baccalaureate World Schools. Perry Creek Elementary, Nodland Elementary, and Sunnyside Elementary are candidate schools* for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program. All three schools are pursuing authorization as IB World Schools.
*Only schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate can offer any of its academic programs.
What is International Baccalaureate (IB)?
IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improving the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high-quality programs of international education that share a powerful vision. Programs focus on teaching students to think critically and independently, and how to inquire with care and logic. IB prepares students to succeed in a world where facts and fiction merge in the news, and where asking the right questions is a crucial skill that will allow them to flourish long after they’ve left our programs. IB is supported by teachers and coordinators who develop and promote IB’s curriculums in almost 5,000 schools globally every day, in over 150 countries around the world.
Schools work with members of the IB’s Development team to complete their candidate phase projected timeline.
During the candidate phase, each school takes actions necessary to fulfill the International Baccalaureate® (IB) requirements for authorization.
During this period:
- Schools wishing to be authorized to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP) begin trial implementation of the program.
- The program coordinator and other staff must attend specified IB-recognized professional development activities.
A crucial element of the candidate phase is consultation support, which includes an on-site visit. While the school ultimately chooses when it is ready to apply for authorization, the consultant’s feedback and guidance should be strongly considered in making this important decision.
When the candidacy phase is complete and our schools become International Baccalaureate World schools, our students will:
- Be encouraged to think independently and drive their own learning.
- Take part in programs of education that can lead them to some of the highest-ranking universities around the world.
- Become more culturally aware, through the development of a second language.
- Be able to engage with people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world.
The following schools are International Baccalaureate World School Candidates:
Perry Creek Elementary is currently requesting authorization to become an International Baccalaureate School.