The Start of a Child’s Educational Journey
The Sioux City Community School District is dedicated to the success of all children. Guided by knowledge of child development and research-based practices, early childhood staff provides developmentally appropriate experiences for all SCCSD preschool students.
2022-2023 Preschool Registration
Preschool registration for the 2022-2023 school year is now open!
Students enrolling in our four-year-old voluntary preschool program must meet two requirements:
- Your child MUST reside in the State of Iowa. (preschool does not follow district boundaries, so you can request a prefered preschool location in the registration application)
- Your child MUST be four years old by September 15, 2022.
- Your child may not attend free preschool for two years.
- Your child may not attend free preschool if they are five on or before September 15, 2022.
How to Register
Applications became available online at the link below beginning Tuesday, February 8, 2022, at 4:00 pm and are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Once you’ve submitted an application, our preschool coordinator will be in contact with you to provide more information and next steps.
Applicants can expect one of the following:
- A referral to the Head Start Program (if eligible). The state requires families that qualify for Head Start attend a Head Start Preschool program. The household information included on your application will determine your eligibility for a Head Start program.
- A one-to-one registration meeting with our preschool coordinator (depedent upon availability). Please bring your child’s birth certificate and immunization records to this meeting.
- Assistance registering with another preschool program if ours becomes full.
For any additional questions, please contact Gina Bohan at 712-293-0436 ext. 1401.
Hours & Tuition
Sioux City Community School District preschools run a full-day program and curriculum. Through Iowa’s Statewide Voluntary Preschool Program (SWVPP), three hours of preschool per day are provided at no cost.
Students can attend Monday through Friday from 8:30 am – 11:30 am for free.
For the additional four hours of preschool per day, there is a $250 monthly fee. Reduced tuition rates are available based on household income. Please contact Gina Bohan at 712-293-0436 ext. 1401 to inquire about tuition assistance.
Growth & Development
SCCSD preschool staff use the early childhood curriculum as a framework for facilitating children’s growth in all areas of development. All children are seen as individuals; therefore, staff provides modifications and adaptations to ensure the success of each child. The classroom environment is set up to encourage play, which is the most important process through which young children learn. The early childhood staff feels families play an important role in their child’s educational success. Ongoing, open communication is vital. It is essential that families actively participate in their child’s education.
Sioux City Community School District Preschools Locations:
All preschools within the Sioux City Community School District are affiliates of the Preschool Initiative Program and take place at the following buildings:
3040 Jones St.
Principal: Dr. Angela Holcomb
Clark Early Childhood Center
4315 Hamilton Blvd.
Preschool Administrator: Amber Hannah
Hunt A+ Arts Elementary
2002 Nebraska St.
Principal: Camille Barker
3919 Jefferson St.
Principal: Ron Koch
Morningside STEM Elementary
3601 Bushnell St.
Principal: Jarod Mozer
3300 S. Cypress St.
Principal: Blair Taylor
2220 Nash St.
Principal: Kathy Thode
Spalding Park Environmental Sciences Elementary
4101 Stone Ave.
Principal: Dr. Mandi Bradford
Loess Hills Computer Programming Elementary
1717 Casselman St.
Principal: Tami Vogeli
1901 Unity Ave.
Principal: Eric Kilburn
Access a PDF of the Preschool Curriculum Assessment Information in Six Languages:
Be advised that at any time the Iowa State Legislature may consider proposals that could reduce or eliminate funding for some preschool programs.