While Gov. Kim Reynolds declares a state of emergency, school districts have been given approval to follow updated substitute hiring requirements. The SCCSD will adhere to these requirements for the extent of time set forth by Gov. Reynolds. Click here to view the updated substitute hiring requirements.
Requirements for Teaching Substitute Positions
Those interested in applying for a substitute teaching vacancy must provide proof of the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree (in any field)
- Official College Transcripts
- Mandatory Reporter Certificate
AND one of the following:
Iowa Substitute Authorization (for individuals holding a BA in a subject other than education)
If you hold a bachelor’s degree: Receiving a substitute authorization will allow an individual who holds a bachelor’s degree to substitute in grades PK-12.
Before you can apply for your substitute authorization from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners you must first complete a substitute authorization course through an Area Education Agency (AEA). Visit the Northwest AEA (NWAEA) website for more information as well as class schedules for substitute authorization classes offered through the NWAEA.
All licenses are issued through the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BoEE). To apply for a substitute license with the BoEE please visit the BoEE website. Applicants must apply directly via the BoEE website.
Requirements for Non-Teaching Substitute Positions
- High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)
- Under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) paraprofessionals whose duties include instructional support, must meet one of the following:
- Two years of study at an institution of higher education. The institution must have met five criteria of the Higher Education Act, Section 101(a). All classes must be at level 100 or higher.
- Associate degree or higher. All associate degrees are acceptable.
- Obtain voluntary certification through the Board of Educational Examiners; or
- Meet a rigorous standard of quality and be able to demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing, and mathematics (or, as appropriate, reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness).
- No good faith extensions. All paras must be qualified at the time of employment.