A Majority-Minority District Leading in Specialty, Career, and Technical K-12 Education
Not only do you get a career with a competitive salary and great benefits, but at the Sioux City Community School District, you will be part of one of the most diverse learning environments in Northwest Iowa.
As a majority-minority district, our students represent significant diversity in race, ethnicity, and socio-economic status, and many other measures. We are a beautiful representation of cultures and backgrounds. From the moment our staff and students step into our classrooms, they benefit from learning and growing together – unified in education.
Serving nearly 15,000 students annually, the Sioux City Community School District ensures students develop the specialty, career, and technical skills needed to be successful now and into the future. Our leaders, teachers, and support staff are skilled in providing unique educational opportunities through the SCCSD including:
- Advanced Placement – North, East, and West High School are dedicated to providing a challenging curriculum for SCCSD students. The Belin-Blank Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development placed all three SCCSD high schools in the Iowa AP Index of Top 50 Schools in 2019.
- International Baccalaureate – Home to the second IB program in Iowa, the SCCSD offers this exceptional educational opportunity at three elementary schools—Nodland, Perry Creek, and Sunnyside.
- Specialty Schools – The Sioux City Community School District is home to five specialty schools. Each specialty school has a focused theme and aligned curricula, including the arts, environmental sciences, STEM, dual language, and computer programming. These schools use district and state Common Core standards in all subject areas and the curriculum is taught within the overall theme of the school.
- Higher Education Partnerships – The Sioux City Community School Districts’ proximity to Western Iowa Tech Community College has created numerous partnerships and collaborative efforts that support and educate SCCSD students.
- Future Ready – The Sioux City Community School District has been designated a Future Ready District by the US Department of Education. The characteristics of Future Ready districts include: building the right infrastructure, imagining the classrooms of the future, ensuring teachers are ready to utilize and benefit from technology, preparing administrators to lead and support teachers as they utilize technology, and including parents, community members, school board members, and others in discussions.
- SCCSD Preschools – The Sioux City Community School District is a proud member of the Sioux City Preschool Initiative, which provides increased access to quality preschool programming for four-year-old children in Siouxland. With preschool programs in nine schools throughout the District, the initiative supports the District in providing children with a certified teacher in every classroom, a low student-to-teacher ratio of 1:10, a set curriculum, a state verification that follows state standards, and regular assessments and conferences to monitor the progress of each child.
- VIBE Academy (K-12 Virtual School) – The Sioux City Community School District is redefining online education. At VIBE Academy, students in K-12 experience a personable, synchronous, and engaging virtual learning environment, for free. With a dedicated team of teachers, special education coaches, and counselors, students are learning without limits!
In addition, students who reside in Siouxland, including the following states: Nebraska, South Dakota, and Iowa, can access career and technical educational opportunities through the Sioux City Career Academy.
- Sioux City Career Academy – The Sioux City Career Academy offers over 30 pathways for students to explore. Each pathway is a career-focused sequence of high school courses that integrates core academic knowledge with technical and occupational knowledge to provide students with a pathway to post-secondary education and careers in areas such as graphic design, culinary arts, fashion, and automotive technology.