Transitional Kindergarten or Kindergarten: Which is Right For Your Child?
Sioux City, Iowa – Starting kindergarten is a major milestone for children and parents.
Deciding when to register your child for kindergarten isn’t always easy. Many parents question whether their child is ready for school – academically, emotionally, or socially. Fortunately, transitional kindergarten (TK) offers parents another option if aren’t sure your child is quite ready for the rigors of kindergarten.
What is TK?
TK serves as a bridge between preschool and kindergarten, providing kids with seamless schooling as they embark on their academic careers. It gives children another year to develop physically, socially, and academically before entering kindergarten. In addition, it helps promote self-confidence and independence in children before they enter kindergarten.
The Sioux City Community School District offers TK classrooms at five of the district’s elementary schools including Liberty Elementary, Nodland Elementary, Perry Creek Elementary, Spalding Park Environmental Sciences Elementary, and Unity Elementary. To be eligible for TK, children must be five years old by September 15 of that school year. A year of TK is always followed by a year of kindergarten.
Should We Choose TK or Kindergarten?
Many parents are unsure if they should enroll their child in TK or kindergarten. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, kindergarten may be a good option for your child. If you answer no to any of these questions, TK may be a good program for your child.
- Does my child like to play with other children?
- Does my child initiate conversations with others?
- Is my child willing to share materials?
- Is my child unafraid of new situations and environments?
- Can my child easily accept “no” for an answer?
- Can my child keep his or her hands to himself or herself?
- Does my child show an interest in learning letters and numbers?
- Can my child sit attentively when being read to?
- Does my child show good self-control?
How Do I Register My Child for TK or Kindergarten?
To register your child or for more information, please contact Sioux City Community Schools’ Department of Elementary Education at 712-279-6677 or visit our registration webpage.