SCCSD to Recognize Class of 2020 with Special Commencement Events
The Sioux City Community School District recognizes the immense value and importance of recognizing our recent graduates in-person. While graduation ceremonies in 2020 look a little different than in past years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we remain committed to honoring the accomplishments of this class. Therefore, the Sioux City Community School District will host a commencement event at each high school on July 25, to recognize recent graduates.
The health and safety of our staff, students, and guests is a high priority. For this reason, these events have been reformatted. Graduates will not all be brought together collectively in one large facility for a traditional commencement program. Instead, graduates will be honored in several small group commencement spotlights. The information below outlines the reformatted event.
To view the event schedule for each high school and the graduates who registered to participate, please follow the links below.
Note: these lists do not include all 2020 graduates, only those who registered for the event.
- ○ Each small group will include up to 10 students to be recognized during a ten minute, small-group commencement exercise.
- ○ Each graduate can bring up to four guests.
- ○ Graduates should wear caps and gowns.
- ○ Commencement exercises will be hosted at each respective high school.
Commencement Exercise Format
- ○ Each Building Principal will address each group of graduates.
- ○ Dr. Paul Gausman, Superintendent of Schools, will address each group of graduates.
- ○ Jeremy Saint, Board President, will address each group of graduates.
- ○ Each graduate’s name will be called as he/she comes forward to be recognized.
- ○ Once each student in the group has been recognized, pomp and circumstance will play.
- ○ All graduates and guests are required to wear a mask when inside the high school. Individuals will not be permitted inside without a mask. Please bring your own mask.
- ○ All staff will wear masks and adhere to 6 ft. social distancing guidelines.
- ○ Precautions will be taken to prevent cross-contamination and multiple touchpoints for graduation.
- ○ All graduates and guests must take their temperature before coming to the commencement exercise. If your temperature is above 100.4, please refrain from attending.
- ○ Additionally, please do not come to a commencement exercise if you are considered high-risk for infection, are sick, or are taking care of someone who is sick or has recently been exposed to COVID 19.
- ○ Water fountains will not be open.
- ○ Students/families should refrain from congregating before or after small group exercises.
Together, we can protect the health and well-being of staff, graduates, and guests while still making meaningful memories together. We look forward to honoring our graduates on July 25.