Transitional Kindergarten or Kindergarten? Which is right for your child?
The Sioux City Community School District is excited to offer transitional kindergarten (TK) classrooms at the Clark Early Childhood Center, Liberty Elementary, Loess Hills Computer Programming Elementary, Nodland Elementary, Spalding Park Environmental Sciences Elementary, and Unity Elementary. Preference is given to children who have birthdays in late spring, summer, and early fall. To be eligible for TK, children must be five years old by September 15, of that school year. For example, for the 2020-2021 school year, a child must be five years old by September 15, 2020. A year of TK is always followed by a year of kindergarten.
If you would like more information please contact Lynn Foster at 712-279-6677.
Q. What is TK?
- TK gives children another year to develop physically, socially, and academically before entering kindergarten.
- TK promotes self-confidence and independence in children.
- TK serves as a bridge between preschool and kindergarten.
- TK gives children seamless schooling as they embark on their academic careers.
Q. How does the District’s TK program operate?
- The program is five days a week from 8:40 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Children are eligible for Beyond the Bell for before and after school care.
- If a child’s normal boundary school is the school where they are attending TK and live over two miles, they are eligible for transportation. If not, the parent/guardian is responsible for transportation.
- Children must return to their normal boundary school for kindergarten.
Q. How do I know if TK is right for my child?
Many parents are unsure if they should enroll their child in TK or kindergarten.
If you answer NO to the following questions, TK may be a good program for your child.
If you answer YES to the following questions, Kindergarten may be a better option for your child.
- Does my child like to play with other children?
- Does my child initiate conversations with others?
- Is my child willing to share materials?
- Is my child unafraid of new situations and environments?
- Can my child easily accept “no” for an answer?
- Can my child keep his or her hands to self?
- Does my child show an interest in learning letters and numbers?
- Can my child sit attentively when being read to?
- Does my child show good self-control?