District Mission: The Sioux City Community School District exists to educate students to believe in their talents and skills, achieve academic excellence, and succeed in reaching their potential.
Facilitator: Dr. Kim Buryanek
The Board Student Achievement Committee (SAC) met on Monday, August 3, 2020, in the
Educational Service Center Board Room.
Committee Members Present: Dr. Paul Gausman, Dr. Kim Buryanek, Mr. Dan Greenwell, Mrs.
Monique Scarlett, and Mr. Ron Colling
Guests Present: Mandie Mayo, Director of Communications, Dr. Brian Burnight, Director of
Elementary of Education
Title I Staffing
Dr. Burnight indicated that he has been assured by the state that the increase for Title I funding will be equal to or greater than the allocation two years ago. He expects an approximate increase of $400,000. He proposed hiring seven teachers to support students and families. Mr. Greenwell suggested making approval of this contingent on funding when the request is presented to the Board.
Return-to-Learn Plan Revisions
- Virtual learning occurs when a decision is made by the Iowa Department of Education (IDOE) consulting with the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDOPH) for closure of a building(s).
- Request for moving to virtual instruction will be responded to within 48 hours by the IDOE.
- District will provide hotspot devices, as opposed to the state, using ESSER Funds.
- Assessments will be administered within the first month of the 2020-2021 school year.
- If the building(s) close and virtual learning is in progress all staff will report to the building(s).
- Parents choosing the virtual learning option are expected to support their students with virtual learning; it is the responsibility of the parent to provide access to the internet. If we move to virtual learning for all, the cost for hotspots will be paid by the District. If hybrid learning occurs, hotspot devices will be provided to families without internet access.
- Virtual learners will only have access to the core instruction, but extra-curricular activities will be available.
- The decision of how to open will be a topic for discussion at the next Board meeting.
- Mrs. Mandie Mayo will draft an announcement, have it translated, and ready for dissemination the following business day.