District Mission: The Sioux City Community School District exists to educate students to believe in their talents and skills, achieve academic excellence, and succeed in reaching their potential.
Chair: Joseph Riker
Vice-Chair: Kim Opsahl
Facilitator: Dr. Kim Buryanek
Secretary: Erin Bourne
The School Improvement Advisory Committee (SIAC) met on Thursday, March 12, 2020 in the
Educational Service Center Board Room.
Attendees: Dr. Paul Gausman, Dr. Kim Buryanek, Mandie Mayo, Perla Alarcon-Flory, Danny Tran, Cameron Jensen, Carson Bogenreif, Mario Enriquez, Xavier Divis, Greg Giles, Bernie Hess, Joseph Riker, Kay Beyerink, Bill Burrack, Kim Opsahl, David Halaas, Monique Scarlett, Joe Simons, Tammy Noble, Juliana Benitez, Amanda Beougher, and Megan Lawrey
Guests / Visitors: Dr. Brian Burnight, Director of Elementary Education; Jen Gomez, Director of Student Services and Equity Education; and Heidi Anthony, Director of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
Call to Order: Chair Joseph Riker called the meeting to order at 5:15 p.m.
Focus 2022 Goal Discussion
Dr. Kim Buryanek shared with the committee the purpose of the Focus 2022 Strategic Plan. Committee members learned about each goal area, along with objectives, through small group discussions led by District directors. Committee members engaged in meaningful conversation and asked questions. The goals discussed were:
- Goal 1: Provide Relevant, Rigorous and Innovative Academics
- Goal 2: Provide Safe, Healthy and Supportive Learning Environments
- Goal 3: Attract and Support Highly Effective Teachers, Leaders and Staff
- Goal 4: Practice Effective, Efficient and Sustainable Business Practices
- Goal 5: Strengthen School, Family and Community Engagement
Dr. Buryanek asked the committee members to keep these goals in mind as they think about what should be in the next strategic plan. Development of the next strategic plan will begin soon and feedback from this committee will be shared with the Board and included in the next strategic plan.
Dr. Buryanek asked committee members to reflect on presentations given this year, share the main ideas from each presentation, and assess how each presentation meets goals in the Focus 2022 Strategic Plan. Committee members learned about a variety of topics through the following presentations:
- “Student of the District” presented by Dr. Paul Gausman
- “Evaluation of Educational Programming” presented by Mr. Jim Vanderloo and Katie Towler
- “District and School Climate Survey of Parents” presented by Mandie Mayo
- “Data Carousel” facilitated by Dr. Kim Buryanek
After discussing main points from each presentation and assessing the goals associated with each presentation, committee members agreed the five existing goals are essential and should remain part of the next strategic plan. They suggested adding a goal or objective that encompasses global learning. Dr. Buryanek also explained that if the five existing goals remain, objectives for each goal area would be altered.