Process for Selecting a Permanent Superintendent
The Sioux City Community School District is conducting a nationwide search for a new superintendent to lead the District when Interim Superintendent Dr. Rod Earleywine’s contract expires at the end of the 2022-23 school year.
Our Ideal Candidate
As we live our mission of “educating students to believe in their talents and skills, achieve academic excellence, and succeed in reaching their full potential,” the Sioux City Community School District seeks a mission-driven, collaborative leader committed to achieving student-driven results.
Our District seeks a Superintendent who possesses the following leadership traits:
- Is a Trusted Leader who values ethics and integrity, by practicing moral authority
- Leads by example through honest practices
- Is an effective communicator, creating strong school and community relations
- Is accountable and responsible for actions
- Empowers others by promoting team strengths and students first approach
- Shows transparency by sharing the organization’s goals and challenges to promote staff engagement
- Builds strong diverse teams and promotes teamwork for the success of all
- Maintains a positive/optimistic outlook
The recruitment and selection process will be developed by executive search firm GR Recruiting and presented to the board for approval in early 2022. The SCCSD Board of Directors approved the executive search firm at its March 28 meeting. View the March 28 agenda packet.
Community Involvement & Engagement
The community’s voice will be critical in helping define the leadership characteristics, qualities, and qualifications of the Sioux City Community School District’s next superintendent. Parents, staff, students, and community members will be deeply involved in the process.
Updates regarding community engagement, as well as other aspects of the hiring process, will be shared on this webpage and through other methods of communication including email, newsletters, and social media.
During 90-minute input sessions, attendees will be asked to provide input on the leadership qualities, communication strategies, and management traits most important in a new superintendent. Feedback gathered during the sessions will be used to identify the right candidates for the superintendent position as part of the nationwide search process.
In addition to the input sessions, staff, families, and the community will be encouraged to provide feedback on a superintendent search survey. The survey closed on Friday, October 14, 2022.
Community Input Opportunities & Search Timeline
- September 27: Initial planning meeting with the board of directors
- October 3: GR Recruiting notifies all associates and other professional contacts of the vacancy
- October 3: Open online survey (for input on developing the job description). Survey available on the District website from Oct. 3-Oct. 14
- October 11: Input session at East High School Media Center (3200 S. Cypress St. Sioux City, IA 51106)
- 4:00 pm: District staff only
- 6:00 pm: Open to the public
- October 13: Input session at West High School Media Center (2001 Casselman St. Sioux City, IA 51103)
- 4:00 pm: District staff only
- 6:00 pm: Open to the public
- October 14: 10:00 am deadline for survey input from constituents, stakeholders, and board members
- October 15: Input session at North High School Media Center (4200 Cheyenne Blvd. Sioux City, IA 51104)
- 8:30 am: District staff only
- 10:30 am: Open to the public
- October 20: 6:00 pm board meeting to finalize the superintendent job description
- December 12: Application deadline
- December 12-22: Paper screening of applicants and reference checks
- January 5: GR Recruiting meets with the board in closed session to discuss candidates who will be interviewed
- The board also finalizes 1st round of board interview questions
- Consultants meet with interview teams to prepare questions and review procedures
- January 11-12: 1st round interviews take place in a closed session meeting via Zoom
- January 12: Closed session board meeting with GR Consulting following the last interview (Time: TBD)
- January 17-19: Finalist (2nd round) interviews take place in person in a closed session meeting
- January 18-19: Closed session board meeting with GR Consulting following the last interview (Time: TBD)
- TBD: Consultants will discuss contract terms with the finalist
- TBD: Contract offered
- TBD: GR recruiting finalizes entry plan and provides ongoing support options for the board and new superintendent
- July 1, 2023: Permanent superintendent’s first day
Latest District NewsView Superintendent Search News
Alum, ‘lunch teacher’ finds kindness is king
Sioux City, Iowa – Juanita Evans’ heart is in Morningside. A Sioux City Community Schools alum, Juanita has spent countless hours at Morningside STEM Elementary School, first as a parent…
NHS alum proves she’s a playmaker
Sioux City, Iowa – Ceilings don’t exist in Brittni Donaldson’s world. The North High School alumni was breaking barriers long before she made headlines as the NBA’s youngest coach and…
Inaugural season of girls wrestling starts, 50 SSCSD girls participating
High school girls all over the state are making wrestling history. The inaugural season of sanctioned girls wrestling in Iowa started this month and the first competition in the state…
#SCCSD November 2022 Staff Members of the Month
Carson Cameron, SPED Teacher @ Spalding Park Environmental Sciences Elementary School “Carson works very hard to meet the needs of all of her students. She maintains a positive…
#SCCSD Kudos Recognition: Nicole Christiansen
Kudos to Nicole Christiansen (5th Grade Teacher | Loess Hills Computer Programming Elementary School) “Nicole transitioned from special education to fifth grade this school year and is…
#SCCSD Kudos Recognition: Mike Morse
Kudos to Mike Morse (SPED Instructional Assistant | Loess Hills Computer Programming Elementary School) “Mike supports our Compass Academy room at Loess Hills Computer Programming Elementary School.